Subject: [Leica] Hyperfocal distance
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 17:58:37 -0700

Optical design of retrofocus or telephoto design has no bearing on
dof and consequently hyperfocal distance. Only focal length and
aperture are of importance in 'normal' lenses. Things like true
telecentric lenses are excluded from the definition of 'normal'
because they don't play by the rules with respect to focal length and
such.

The arguments and calculations that you lay out are valid; the only
thing is that the coc of .03mm is, as noted, too loose. For casual
photography that will not be enlarged beyond 4x6 prints it's OK, but
for more demanding purposes a factor of 1.4 (1 stop) or 2 is, as you
noted, more appropriate. With digital and the pixel peeping that goes
hand in hand with that, even a 2.8 (3 stop) tightening is noticeable
and sometimes desirable. At that point the hyperfocal distance loses
its appeal for standard and longer lenses, so you might as well just
focus on your main point of interest :-). Wideangle lenses of course
are helped most by the use of hyperfocal distance, since it's often a
short enough distance.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design