Subject: [Leica] THE TRUTH OF THE PHOTO!! --- NEW STUFF : SIGN OF THE TMES. COLOUR OR b&w
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 08:29:22 -0700

Subject: Re: [Leica] NEW STUFF : SIGN OF THE TMES. COLOUR OR b&w

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/leicated/ted+grant/

The Q&A's to your questions and more. :-)

George Lottermoser SAID AND ASKED:

>>"Certainly a strong graphic

and thought provoking photograph

Maybe helpful and informative to let us know the where and when.

 TG: 1/ The picture was taken 2 days ago in Victoria Canada.

Steve Barbour ASKED:

>>"a very nice image... that we all see every day, even during the prior
UPturn....

why was it taken ? is it about the color, or, is it about the content?

as the photographer, it's your call...  what point are you trying to make?
how do you see it?

TG: 2/ It's the content and the wall message. It may not relate directly to
the financial situation of the day to the two male subjects. But it's the
over all message and what a viewer "might" relate to the two men.

Jim Nichols OFFERED:

>> "I find the B&W much more impressive, both as a photo and as a statement.
That's my 2 cents.

TG: 3/  As much as I believe the B&W is the stronger always in this type of
scene. For some reason I tend a tad toward the colour. Why? I don't know
it's a sort of gut feeling. I think it's the words on the wall to the ride
of the frame seem to stand out stronger in colour, that maybe the influence?

Spencer Cheng OFFERED:

>> "B&W. Colour, to me, is just a distraction in this case.

TG: 4/ As mentioned above in 3 is the only reason I kind of lean toward the
colour. However the B&W allows complete concentration of the content.

Douglas Sharp OFFERED:

>> I must say I prefer the BW version. For me, it brings out the sign more
strongly as a reference to two who "may" have been victims of the truth
behind it.

Do I detect a bit of colour dodging in the yellows before conversion to BW?

TG: 5/ No dodging, I think it's just the smudged wall.

Steve Barbour OFFERED:

>> I, like you Ted, in all likelihood, will prefer bw...truth is, I'm a
little surprised by your question...

(and that's no surprise  :-) ) maybe you are way ahead of me, and you want
to consider why anything should be in color...

This does seem to be a very ongoing question...maybe because people are
shooting RAW, though I think in essence, it ought to be a simple thing for
the shooter to decide.

but as to the content, guys on the street like this, a dime a dozen, a
feature of city life even during the best of times, and we don't know if the
sign, ie education...is a factor in this sad situation, even as now some
very highly educated people are out of work, on the street...

The sign may have had more relevance and truth actually during good economic
times, compared to now when education may be less of a causative factor in
unemployment...

anyway, good on you, as you've pushed buttons that will have us thinking and
arguing on several fronts,

TG: 6/ No preference other than my quotation " When you photograph people in
Colour you photograph their clothes. When you photograph people in B&W you
photograph their souls!"  This also must be tempered with intelligence.
Simply because doing an assignment in India would be pretty stupid to only
shoot B&W due to the colours of the country and peoples clothing. However?
If you were doing a documentary on the slums .... I would shoot all B&W
without question!

I think one can read the economic situation or the education situation in
cost of attending. But the second line is right in the face so true fo many
people.

Lluis OFFERED:

>> I understand your comment content two questions, one about what this
photography can be interpreted (the visual mesage), for me you give a fresh
and at the time dramatic vision of the situation. Many of us was just shot
the poor men, you have added an ironic message that it minds a lot of
things. Here you are not only showing images, you are giving to the viewers
a subject to discuss, some that can modify our thoughts about a situation.

The second question about color or B&W is only a mater of taste, we are used
to be more dramatic images in B&W than in color. You know me very well, but
maybe on this case I'll be for the color, why? because IMO it seprates
better the two plans of action on this photo.

TG: 7/ True about the two men!  I believe in most cases the subject would've
been the two even though we've seen hundreds of similar photos. However a
moment in the "Art of Observation" the message becomes far more than the two
on the street! We as photographers must always see the most obvious moment.
but never forget the important split second to look beyond that point !!!

Pasvorn OFFERED:

>> First thing I saw was the sign.  Then I started making assumption about
the 2 gents in the middle.

But when looking at a bigger picture, they looked like they were engaging in
a good conversation.

I really like the picture.<<<<<

TG: 8/ Now that's interesting as that's the first thing I saw! Then the two
men! I know walking along any street a sign such as this is so in the face
it almost warrents finding something to anchor with it and truning it into
an interesting picture. Which is the case here.

Nathan OFFERED:

>> B&W for me as well, Ted. <<<<<<<

TG: 9/  It seems the B&W folks have the lead. And when you look at two 13X19
prints side by each the B&W wins hands down!

Philippe OFFERED:

>> Great contrast and sort of kick in the ... eyes, and mind.

Thank you Doctor Ted :-)

TG: 10/ It is a a sort of eye opener when you see it on the street like this
with a possible couple of subjects in the background.

Felix OFFERED:

<<Nobody may say this image is not pertinet nowadays. Black and white image
remarks the dramatic aspect of the matter. As everybody already knows you
are *the master*.<<

TG: 11/ I think it fits the scene of the day. Although the wall message may
not apply to these two gentlemen in relation to attending or not attending
university. It still is a strong photo moment.

NOW THE TRUTH OF THE MOMENT! :-)

This was a test photo for reactions! I did not shoot this! However to those
offering praise thank you very much. But they will be passed along to the
shooter!

This photograph was shot by my 18 year old grandson Scott "Wink" Grant. He
has recently taken a liking to photography without any pushing by me or his
father, Ted jnr. He has taken to it with roaring success of cross country
bike action, skate boarding, basketball, people of all kinds. He shows no
fear of what the light level is. I told him the other day, "Wink it's a bit
under exposed, too dark! You should've given it more light!"  :-(  His
response?

"Grandpa I've heard you say a thousand times.. "That if you can see it , you
can shoot it!"  :-) At least he's been listening!! :-) So OK how is that for
putting it back in yer face? Now we are going to have a few "technical
lessons" shortly. :-)

The photograph in question was shot because. He says, Quote - unquote! " I
was walking down the street saw the sign and the two guys and thought,
"COOL!"   Camera up, click!  "Well that's what you always say." Not a bad
shot considering he's only been playing "photographer" for a couple of
months!

Now with that kind of eye and instinct to observe and shoot without any
teaching about photography. However since he came out of the womb 18 years
ago he's been learning by osmosis.

I want to tank you all for your comments and trust no offence taken at blind
siding you with the effort.

Cheers,

ted

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] THE TRUTH OF THE PHOTO!! --- NEW STUFF : SIGN OF THE TMES. COLOUR OR b&w)