Subject: [Leica] Tripod, sort of.
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 13:51:33 -0400

On Apr 6, 2009, at 1:02 AM, Jan wrote:

> Unfortunately, most zoos, botanical gardens and museums now discourage
> "serious" tripod use (perhaps because they want you to buy their
> tourist
> view postcards..).  Even the Kodak House in Rochester I learned 2
> years ago
> had a "no tripod and no backpack policy",

  About 20 years ago I bought a hiking staff from a mountain supply
store prior to a trip through the Adirondacks. To all appearances is
is a normal looking walking cane but unscrew the round walnut cap on
the top and you have a neat tripod screw. I have had no trouble taking
it on planes and into museums and other venues where tripods are
forbidden. Just feign a limp as you approach the ticket counter and
the rest is easy. Given my age, I have less trouble feigning the limp
now. It is a great assist in holding the camera steady. By the way,
I'm surprised that no one mentioned bean bags and tension strings as
tripod surrogates. Both work better than my shaky hands.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Tripod, sort of.)