Subject: [Leica] What's a SOOMKY
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 10:20:27 -0600

SOOKY-M or SOMKY or 16507

SOMKY-M or SOMKY-UOORF (includes adapter UOORF/16508)

Here's a photo of one version:

http://www.photographica-auctionen.de/auctionlist/objectWinInfo.asp?objektnr=342&auktionsnamn=Photographica%203

You may have to cut and paste the link.

It allows you to use certain 50 mm lenses in the "close-up" range*. It
works with most** collapsible 50 mm lenses. You collapse the lens and
attach it to the SOOKY-M/SOMKY/16507 using the three prong, small
bayonet at the back of the lens unit. Mid seventies and earlier 50
Summicrons had removable optical units that you could unscrew and then
attach to the SOOKY-M/SOMKY/16507 using the UOORF/16508 adaptor as an
intermediary.

it is all best described as a clumsy work around which is an instant
conversation starter and apparently renders parties of your preferred
sexual orientation completely unable to resist your improper overtures.

Your sleep deprived correspondent signing off,

John

* Best described as a "sort of" close focus lens not a macro lens by
any stretch of the imagination.
** Reports of mixed success with the modern 50 Elmar. Some say simply
removing the plastic cover on the small bayonet will allow it to work,
others demur.

Replies: Reply from lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew) ([Leica] What's a SOOMKY)