Subject: [Leica] Filters and Filter Mounts
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 04:18:19 -0400

At 03:30 AM 3/26/2009, Marty Deveney wrote:
 >Of relevance to this thread is that a UV/IR filter is something that
 >Harrison & Harrison don't make.  It is a filter which removes, by optical
 >interference, ultra-violet and infrared light but allows the passage of
 >visible light.  Infrared causes colour contamination with the Leica M8 when
 >it comprises a large proportion of the reflected light from a subject.
 >
 >Harrison and Harrison, unlike, say, Holland and Holland, my favourite "H&H"
 >company, also don't appear to have a web presence, which makes them much
 >harder to access outside the US.  But I do remember that they are located
 >on
 >"Thunderbolt Drive", someplace in the US, which I thought was a very
 >excellent name for a street.
 >
 >In 1999 I ordered some filters from them and when they arrived (in Prague,
 >after a lengthy transit) I found that they were uncoated.  They might be
 >flat, but without good multicoating, a filter is just an optical millstone
 >around the neck of the kind of modern lenses, which all have excellent
 >multicoating, that I use.  Maybe they are coated now or maybe I ordered
 >from
 >the wrong range, but I didn't go back.
 >
 >If it can't be a leica UV/IR filter, I like the B+W MRC and the Heliopan
 >SH-PMC filters.

Yet again, I have no clue as to what a UV/IR
Filter might be but, then, I very rarely use
filters.  And I am digitally inept, so what do I know?

Marty, I thought I had trained you
better.  "Coating" on filters is a bit of a bogus
item.  Coating on lenses is something which the
use of a lens hood equals in almost every
case.  Do not buy into the 1939 Carl Zeiss Jena
hype about its benefits.  There are benefits to
coatings but not to the extent promised by the
manufacturers.  A proper lens hood is a better answer in most cases.

Harrison and Harrison possibly does not have a
web site.  I had thought they did.  I can
generate a telephone number for those interested.

Snobs need not apply.  H&H is a very elderly firm
with a history of doing things correctly.

Again, I have no idea of the significance of this
IR/UV filter.  Must be some sort of digital
fixation.  That was NOT the start of the thread,
as it began by speaking in general terms of
Series filters for the pre-Asph 1.4/35 Summilux.

Marc

msmall at aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Filters and Filter Mounts)