Subject: [Leica] Sad news for Flexers
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 08:56:41 +1000

Philippe, the link does not work any more. I think that maybe your joke
wasn't acceptable for the gallery.
I don't follow what you mean about the guarantee period being over for the
last R equipment being sold?
There is no suggestion that Leica is not supporting current R equipment with
service and parts.
I would guess that sales of NEW R9s and current lenses have been small or
non-existent for a while.
Remember that this was a dealer bulletin, however it has become a defacto
announcement to the public as well by the way the net propagates these
things..
All I read into Leica's announcement is that they have cleared their
inventory and they are still working on the R10 and its new lens system.
I think that this announcement is consistent with everything that Dr
Kaufmann and Maike Harbets have said publicly about the R10
It will be AF,
there will be (some?) compatibility with the existing R lenses
They know that customers want 24x36 and 'will try to fulfil this wish'
S2 technology will form part of the R10 (esp. the maestro processor and the
AF system).

Just what form it will take is more speculative. My impression is that they
do not think that a 'me too' dSLR will be unique enough to compete directly
in a market full of excellent and cheaper Japanese dSLRs.
Just how they will make their entry attractive will be VERY interesting to
see

Of course as you and others have indicated, customers are frustrated with
waiting and Leica are losing sales right now as some of those R folks who
have been patient for a long time are going to other brands and systems.
I just don't think that Leica has the money and capacity to develop and
introduce the new R system immediately when the S2 is yet to achieve serial
production.

Replies: Reply from philippe.amard at tele2.fr (Philippe AMARD) ([Leica] Sad news for Flexers)