Subject: [Leica] New to Leica
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 09:18:58 -0500

At 08:51 AM 3/4/2009, Philip F wrote:
 >I was trying to get at the notion that if an enthusiastic person shows
 >up to the list, they shouldn't be "welcomed" with how bad it is here
 >and corrected with camera gear semantics. Nobody should really care if
 >it's a 3.5cm or 35mm lens, a 10.5cm or 105mmm lens. That's all
 >superfluous since in the end it's about the images.

That is horse-pucky.  Brian, our bar-keeper,
thinks it is about the images but he overstates
his case.  It is essentially about the gear.  If
you feel differently, try taking a picture
without a camera.  The equipment shapes our photography.

And precision rules photography.  Do not scorn
the distinction between 3.5cm and 35mm:  that
marked a shift in thought at Wetzlar, as they
finally acknowledged their need to match the
1.5/5cm CZJ Sonnar of 1931.  History rules,
brother.  I really ought to complete my book on
the history of the Leica camera.

Marc

msmall at aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!