Subject: [Leica] IMG: Quechua Woman
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:08:58 -0700

Tina Manley showed:

I'm working on photos from the market in Chinchero, Peru.  This

elderly woman had such bad cataracts she is probably trying to figure

out exactly what she is looking at (me!)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/tinamanley/090208_865_0031.jpg.html

For those who prefer B&W:

http://tinamanley.smugmug.com/gallery/3896589_nJVJN/1/493534877_bwkVL/Large

Tina, now that's kinda mean throwing down a gauntlet like this. Particularly
when the old guy has always said.. "Real Photographers Shoot B&W!"

I've been back and forth a dozen times or more and my gut keeps coming up
with.. Are you ready?" :-)

The colour over the B&W!  As elderly as this woman is the colour gives her
"a look of someone special!"  A kind of "classic something, being!" In B&W
she just sits there peering at the viewer. It doesn't raise any special
emotions, more like a shot that asks the question "Why did Tina shoot this?"
Maybe others have a different read and feel for it, but in B&W I'm left with
blank feelings. Good, bad or ugly. Nada! Quite interesting, really.

ted