Subject: [Leica] Scanning kodachrome on a Coolscan
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:23:26 -0400

At 01:14 PM 3/14/2009, you wrote:
>So, I'm asking: is there any consensus that one of the many
>alternative scanning applications produces much better results when
>scanning Kodachrome on a Coolscan than the stock Nikon Scan software?
>
>Bob Palmieri
Bob -

Kodachromes are notoriously hard to scan but I get the best results
using Lasersoft's Silverfast.  It's pretty expensive for just a few
scans, though, so the next best would be Vuescan.
I posted some tests using Vuescan vs duplicating with a slide copier
but this was before I got Silverfast:

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/scanning_

Whichever you choose, you can convert the scans to DNG and work on
them in LR to reduce the high contrast that you get with Kodachrome. Good
luck!

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com