Subject: [Leica] Jupiter lens question
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:09:18 -0400

At 11:36 PM 3/11/2009, Philip F wrote:
 >The nice photos taken with an 85mm f/2 have got me thinking about an
 >alternative lens. As I'd like the original Nikkor 85mm or Zeiss Jena
 >85mm f/2.0 they seem to be hard to find in M39 as well as pricey. The
 >Jupiter-9 looks to be pretty common. What are the opinions of this
 >lens? Is the sample ratio of pass:fail bad like some of the Russian
 >copy lenses? I'm intending to use it for my long focal length with an
 >R-D1 since I already have a 135mm finder and the 85mm focal length
 >comes close to the FOV of the finder I own.

Yes, 2/9.5cm CZJ Sonnar T lenses in LTM are
rather hard to find, though I am rather wary of
the term "pricey" as it lacks a hard referent and
one person's "pricey" may well be another's "inexpensive".

Quality depends on a number of factors but here are some things to consider.

First, the vintage is important.  The
aluminium-finish lenses (up to 1980 or so) are
often optically superior to the later gloss-black
finish ones.  VERY late lenses are usually
outstanding -- post-1985 and finished in matte
black -- but these appear to be substantially rarer than the CZJ 2/8.5's.

Second, the factory is important.  This can be
determined by the logo on the nummernschild.  In
VERY general terms, KMZ lenses are generally
better performers than are those from such of the lesser houses.

The issue really resolves to this.  Only buy with
a guarantee of return.  Buy from established
dealers such as Fedka who stand behind their wares.

I own a bunch of these lenses, including a
2/8.5cm CZJ Sonnar T in LTM and a 1951 KMZ in LTM
and a much later gloss-black KMZ lens, and all
are fine performers.  Hell, I even one a KMZ lens in M42.

But, buy from a reputable dealer and get a right
of return.  Or, pick up twenty of these puppies
at $10 each and you're bound to get at least one
good one and then you'll have others to recollimate during cold winter
nights.

Marc

msmall at aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!