Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Machu Picchu, Day Two
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 23:20:20 -0400

At 10:21 PM 3/11/2009, you wrote:
>Tina,
>
>My wife and I enjoyed your photos and can appreciate the effort it
>took for you to reach all of these places.  My wife was curious as
>whether there was any cultivatable land around to support the
>inhabitants. Can't see much of that in the photos, but it would not
>be a very impressive subject anyway.
>
>Jim Nichols

Hi, Jim - Nobody really knows but the speculation is that all of the
terraces surrounding Machu Picchu were used to grow vegetables.  The
Incas had some really elaborate and extensive terracing on all of the
mountains nearby.  All of the stonework is still intact.  Some people
think the terraces were used for defense but some say they were for farming.

Thanks for looking!

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com