Subject: [Leica] Re: W32 SillyWorm
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Feb 25 15:33:02 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 5:37 PM, Leo wrote:

> So a client gave me a usb pen drive to copy a video file to and when
> she
> tried to load it, there was this  W32 SillyWorm on it.  I wasn't the
> only
> one to use the pen drive today.  I 'm on a mac, is there any chance
> that I
> was the source of this worm?  Is there any chance I got the worm
> from the
> pen drive?  As a mac person should i be running any virus checks?  I
> just
> always assume that the frequent updates from apple take care of all
> this...
>
> Leo Wesson
> Photographer/Videographer
> 817.733.9157

If the client uses a PC and you use a Mac, the worm was either on the
client's computer or in the video file. Or possibly in the computer of
the previous person who used the pen drive. To the best of my
knowledge there is no virus that will infect both Macs and PCs. Of
course there are worms which are specific to software programs like MS
Word. It wouldn't hurt to get a current copy of a virus checking
program for the Mac and run it from time to time but the probability
of Mac infection is low.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from leowesson at gmail.com (leo wesson) ([Leica] Re: W32 SillyWorm)