Subject: [Leica] How to protect the M8
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Feb 5 16:59:40 2009

At 11:47 PM +0100 2/5/09, Lluis Ripoll wrote:
>Thank you to Emanuel, Leo, Mark, Nathan, Christopher, Frank, Geoff,
>Jayanand, Scott
>
>I think the first I should try and be used with it to know exactly
>what I need, for the moment the thig I thaught more necessary to
>protect is the screen, for this reason I'm looking for the Giottos
>LCD protector SP8250, it seems that it is only available in US.
>
>Anyone has experience with the very cheap protectors films announced
>on e-Bay, or acmaxx e-bay #260354421188? I'm not very confident on
>these things on e-Bay.
>
>Thank you very much in advance!
>
>Saludos cordiales
>Lluis

I use the plastic protectors; mine are a somewhat stiff plastic sheet
which came in packets of 3. About every 6-10 months they get damaged
enough that I replace them. They offer protection against scratches,
of course, but I would suspect they'd offer some protection against
impact as well. I try not to swing them into hard objects, but I
don't always do what I should.

I had a serious scratch across the screen which got replaced (no
charge) when I sent in my first M8 for rangefinder adjustment to my
Noctilux. I've not had a scratch since.

If the handling of a leather case doesn't bother you, a half case
with the drop down flap seems like a good solution for protection.
With the flap you'd be fairly likely to keep the flap over the LCD a
lot of the time, so if you don't look at it much it would provide
good protection.

For myself I think I'll just leave it or maybe look at the Giotto
protector. Slightly more protection than the plastic, but not making
the camera bigger or harder to get at.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design