Subject: [Leica] Lens compatibility
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Jan 29 09:45:43 2009

At 9:35 AM -0500 1/29/09, Don Dory wrote:
>Stephen,
>No worries as all of your lenses will work fine excepting the Noct.  From
>what I have read and from luggers out there, it is almost impossible to get
>the Noct to focus properly wide open even after adjusting the Noct to a
>specific M8 rangefinder.  My personal belief is that the relatively large
>spherical aberation of the Noct means that there is only one point of sharp
>focus wide open so that unless you hit that point with your focusing patch
>the image doesn't work.  This is not such bad news as you can achieve most
>of the look by using a Canon LTM 50 F1.4 which will largely give that lovely
>sharp unsharp look at 1.4.  However, nothing works like the Noct to kill
>flare so if you do a lot of theater work probably your best choice is first
>the 50 ASPH followed by the Konica 60 1.2.

Don't listen to this. The Noct works fine on both my cameras;
probably better than it did on any film bodies that I have/had due to
the smaller sensor cutting the corners. I did send one body and the
lens to get adjusted in Solms last summer, but even before that it
was quite workable. Now it's dead on and easy. The 50 ASPH is an
outstanding lens, but it's not f/1 and the look is completely
different.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design