Subject: [Leica] Re: Fake Leicas
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Jan 28 15:18:39 2009

On Jan 28, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Bob wrote:

> I gather that the pre-M4 Leicas were hand-built and parts fitted to
> the specific camera, rather than being assembled from standard
> components,
> so unless it was cannibalised by a Leica craftsman it would seem to
> me that
> parts wouldn't fit particularly well together.

Bob,

  I don't believe that was the case for Leicas made after the
introduction of the IIIc. The bodies were die cast and tended to hold
shape very well. I know that shims were often used to bring the
earlier Leicas up to dimensional specs but I have never encountered
one on a IIIc or later, except under the lens mount ring. My
FrankenLeica was assembled out of parts dredged from a camera scrap
bin at the Willoughby's main store in NYC. All had been dropped or
otherwise mutilated. It was fortunate that I could find three where
the defects were in different parts. I remember that the total price
for all three cameras was $30, $10 for each chassis. In 1960 broken
Leica LTM cameras had little market value since everyone was buying
Ms and SLRs. Anyway, the parts fitted together without any
modification. I replaced the covering on the body extrusion, pressed
a small dent out of the top plate, cleaned the viewfinder and
rangefinder optics, adjusted the shutter and had a perfectly
functioning camera.

Larry Z