Subject: [Leica] R lenses on a digital body
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Wed Jan 28 14:16:30 2009

Wayne,
If you want a full frame body you have to either go Canon 5D, 5D MkII,
1Ds and its later versions with adapter or change bayonets and use the
Nikon D700 or D3 or D3x.
For less than full frame you have many Canons and Nikons to choose
from and can also add in Olympus and Leica and Panasonic 4/3rds
cameras with R > 4/3rds adapters.
As Jim says focusing can be problematic with wide angles lenses so
choosing a camera with magnified live view to confirm focus might be a
good idea. With Canons you may experience exposure errors as you shut
down the lenses. This doesn't happen with 4/3rds and Nikon bodies. I
have used R lenses on Canons up to the 5D, Olympus 330E and E3,
Panasonic DMC L1 and now Nikon D700. If I were to be forced to choose,
I think I would go with the Olympus E3 for less than full frame and
the Nikon D700 for full frame because I like the way the cameras
handle. But those are pretty expensive and as Jim points out, to use
the Nikon you have to change the bayonets (cost Eur 68 for each lens
plus a steady hand). None of these conversions and adaptions will give
you auto diaphram and you will have to use stop down aperture
preferred metering which pretty much limits you to f5.6 to f8.0 for
focusing depending on the brilliance of the viewfinder. Full frame
cameras tend to have brighter viewfinders than cropped frame cameras
(one exception being the E3). At the end of the day R lenses work best
on R platforms but the DMR / R8 /R9 combo is rare and expensive and
its interface is not up to the standards set by the latest digital
bodies. And, of course, we are waiting, still waiting for the R10, In
the meantime I am out using my R lenses on my D700, taking pictures
and making fun where I can.
Cheers
Howard