Subject: [Leica] re: Black cats, metering and the Zone System
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat Jan 24 11:23:38 2009

Good afternoon Walt,

The same basic rules apply.
You can certainly render your black, gray and white cats
what ever value you wish with digital
just as you can with film.

In the simplest possible terms:
b&w neg film = expose for shadows and develop to control highlight
rendering
color neg film = expose properly and use a good lab (pretty much
means no variable contrast controls)
color transparency film = expose for highlights and shadows will fall
where they will
digital capture = expose for highlights and control the shadows (and
highlights) in post processing

In more complex terms:
with b&w film we have contrast controls
in the film exposure and development relationship
as well as
in choice of paper contrast grade
and
paper developer choices and toning choices

All of that, and more, is also available with digital using other
terms and tools
such as curves, white point, black point, contrast, different
filtration of the color information, etc.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com