Subject: [Leica] re: bokeh yes
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed Jan 21 00:18:45 2009

I don't agree that the 50 lux asph, 35 lux asph or 28 cron asph
are too sharp to provide desirable bokeh.
Partly because the word "desirable" makes it a totally subjective
matter.

My copies of these lenses provide smooth transitions from in-focus to
out-of-focus areas;
and very pleasing rendering of the out-of-focus areas.

I wouldn't trade their sharpness for a different, highly subjective
bokeh choice.
If and when I want a different look and trade off of the balance
between sharpness and "glow"
I'd simply choose a different lens.

The 65 and 135 elmar as well as the 75 lux deliver very creamy smooth
bokeh too.

As others have said, in detail, each lens design makes compromises
and has its own signature.

As always: what look do you want to achieve?

Except in the case of obviously "bad" visually jarring bokeh
under conditions that you encounter regularly
this bokeh matter remains quite subtle and subjective.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com