Subject: [Leica] Re: Russian Leicas
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Jan 11 09:40:54 2009

> Of course the tipoff is the eagle on the top cover.
> Generally these cameras are not passed off by the dealer as a Leica
> but sold for what they are, a novelty. They are also generally sold
> with a copy 5cm Elmar.

Apart from the cheesy nature of the camera, the fake Elmar lenses can
be quite good. I have a Russian "Leica" camera with what purports to
be a 5cm Elmar. The lens is nicely finished and engraved and is hard
to tell from a real German Elmar of the same period. The pictures,
too, are equivalent. It is virtually impossible to tell those taken
with the fake lens from those taken with the real lens. Considering
that the total cost of the camera and lens was only $125 from the B&H
web site, I may have gotten a bargain. It was clearly identified as a
fake on the site. If you need an old 5cm lens, it could be the ticket.

Larry Z