Subject: [Leica] re: European travel plans
From: dnygr at cshore.com (dnygr)
Date: Wed Jan 7 15:19:55 2009

Tina,
What timing--to be in West Berlin the day the wall opened. I was in
Connecticut, moving and without a television to watch it on. I knew that
wall well. It separated me from friends. When the Wall opened, they rushed
to visit friends and relatives in the Wests. They couldn't them because
their friends and relatives had rushed to each to see them. A Tragicomedy.
You mention the Brandenburger Gate. It took me more than 35 years to return
to Berlin. I made it to the Gate on the night of the anniversary of the
Reichstag fire. The Reichstag was just beyond the Gate. I had forgotten how
close they were. In fact, I hadn't known how close they were to the
Philharmonic. The Wall made it difficult to get from the Philharmonic to the
Gate. It seemed to add five miles to the walk to it which now is not much
more than a mile or two. Walking through the gate as the sun was setting and
the sky was a cobalt blue was an incredible experience. This?had been?an
impossibility when I lived there. It sounds like it was a moving experience
for you back in 1989 as well.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Doug

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] re: European travel plans)