Subject: [Leica] Re: Rangefinder and cloth shutter
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Jan 3 10:27:47 2009

On Jan 3, 2009, at 11:22 AM, Mark wrote:

> The rangefinder on the Leica body is really a pretty big deal.
> As is the cloth shutter.

Mark, I know you were taking poetic license.

The ur-Leica didn't have a rangefinder. Neither did the Leica 1
marketed in 1925. Interchangable lenses didn't come about until 1930.
The first rangefinder Leica appeared in 1932. Barnack didn't invent
the Leica shutter as we know it. The shutter on the ur-Leica was a
primitive affair that required capping the lens when the shutter was
rewound. It was redesigned by :Leitz engineers to be self capping by
1923, prior to the manufacture preproduction prototypes. Give Barnack
the credit for the concept of a slim, pocketable 35 mm camera taking
full (double) frame exposures but many of the features in the Leica
camera that we cherish, rangefinders, the LTM mount, the reliable
variable speed, self capping shutter came from other minds.

If we want to honor the 100th anniversary of the Leica idea, I feel
we should stick to 100% Leica pictures. Leica camera, Leica lenses,
perhaps even Leica enlargers although that would be almost impossible
to verify.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Re: Rangefinder and cloth shutter)