Subject: [Leica] 6x17 lust
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Sat Dec 27 15:10:13 2008

Mark Rabiner wrote:
"...in New York City... there was a guy walking around with a 6x12
camera he built himself. And a cowboy hat I think."

It wasn't me though I have been known to walk around NYC with a 6x12 or
6x11 that I made myself. There's no reason to BUY a perfectly fine Fuji
or Linhof when a wide angle LF lens attached to some kind of film
transport will provide the exact same results (as long as the person
building the camera does their part and works with some bit of
precision.)
I don't have a cowboy hat either.

Now I have my Ricoh XPan which is a 24mm x 60mm frame. I project a
Super Takumar 28mm f/3.5 onto the film. I used a broken Rocoh 35s
rangefinder with trigger winder for film transport. The handy thing
about that body is that there is ample room between supply and takeup
chambers for cutting out the film gate.

Mark (and any other NYC LUGgers), would you like to meet up in Times
square right when the crowds are leaving on early Jan 1st, 2009? Is
that about 1am? I want to take photos of the aftermath of trash and the
city workers cleaning it up this new year.

Phil Forrest

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] 6x17 lust)