Subject: [Leica] Stealing Photos
From: scheng at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Wed Dec 10 12:16:01 2008

Tina,

This is a very hard problem in practise. Digital images are just a
bunch of bits. One nice thing about bits is that you can turn any bit
from 1 to 0 and vice versa which makes it great for image
manipulation. This of course means someone with the right tool can
always change your metadata (which is also a bunch of bits) into their
metadata.

Various solutions has been suggested but I have yet to see any that
can be deployed on a large scale. Digital watermark can be removed if
the attacker is willing to suffer some visual degradation. Even worse,
the security of digital watermarks is dependent on (secret) algorithms
which can be figured out by smart people. Once the algorithm is known,
removing the watermark and leaving an image that is very close to the
original is not difficult.

Digital signature(/public key crypto) is often promoted as a solution
and it is fine until I remove your signature and apply my signature.

Regards,
Spencer