Subject: [Leica] ever been to Guatemala City?
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue Dec 2 06:51:19 2008

At 12:22 AM 12/2/2008, you wrote:
>I have an opportunity to travel with my wife and my M8 to Guatemala
>City for a few days at the end of December. I have no idea what
>Guatemala City is like, but there are American hotels there in which
>she (Victoria) would feel safe. I'm sure I could find things to
>photograph. Any positive or negative recommendations?
>
>Brian Reid

Hi, Brian -  I've been to Guatemala City many, many times.  We
usually stay in the Pan American, an old Guatemalan hotel right
downtown.  There are also hotels like the Marriott and others in the
suburbs.  The area near the American Embassy has some nice American
hotels and lots of upscale restaurants.  I would advise not walking
around in downtown Guatemala City.  It's just not safe anymore.  If
there is any way you can get out of town - maybe to Lake Atitlan or
Antigua - I would do that.  Antigua is not far from Guatemala City
and there is a lot more to see and photograph.  In Guatemala City, I
would go to the markets.  Any of them have lots of photo
opportunities.  This market is not far from Guatemala City:

http://tinamanley.smugmug.com/gallery/3837836_USV9B#418279423_MDAoA-A-LB

Guatemala City is like most big cities - lots of traffic, a mostly
dead downtown, areas that you shouldn't go - the same is true of lots
of large American cities.  It also has some wonderful parks, markets,
restaurants, and people.

Have a great trip!!

Tina

Tina Manley