Subject: [Leica] OT: Advice needed: Franken-lens choice for XPan
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Mon Nov 24 02:12:05 2008

OK, if we have a lugger who uses electron microscope to check out
lens coating, I am sure your collective wisdom will give me much
insight on the following subject. Bear with me please, or delete if
not interested.

As you may know, XPan has a ultra wide 30mm lens in this lineup. Its
performance is top notch. Unfortunately, it's F5.6 and since it
vignettes like crazy, it requires a 1.5 stop center filter, so it's
really a F8 lens, at best. So my thinking is that, I will have a
faster lens of similar focal length converted to work with the XPan.
I have found a mechanic who is willing to RF couple lens of my
choice. Their work on my converted Summicron 50R is excellent so I
have no doubt that they can do the job. I do have a XPan 30mm lens already.

So my choices are:
- Give up and continue to use my 30mm lens
CON - slow speed...

- convert a 645 35mm/4 lens.
PRO - relatively cheap, and certain lens reputedly are stellar
performers (at least for a medium format lens)
CON - the XPan flange to film distance is short by about an inch so a
long "tube" is needed. I worry that this may cause the lens to cast a
shadow on the XPan's panoramic format
CON - 35mm focal length is not quite 30mm

- convert a PC Distagon 35/2.8
PRO - supposedly a stellar lens
CON - more expensive than the Nikkor, but cheaper than the Schneider.
CON - 35mm focal length is not quite 30mm

- convert a shift 28/3.5 Nikkor
PRO - relatively cheap.
CON - the performance is good, but is it "good enough?" Vignette at
the corners and does not cover the full XPan format, may be 24x62
rather than the 24x65.

- convert a shift 28/2.8 Schneider (aka Leica R PC Angulon)
PRO - um, possibly better than the 28/2.8 Nikkor
CON - expen$ive. Reputedly not a stellar lens, whatever that means.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

***
At the moment, I am leaning toward the Nikkor as it is relatively
cheap solution. If I have it converted, even if the performance is
not stellar, I am almost certain that I can sell it, as the 30mm is
quite expen$ive so a cheaper alternative should find a buyer.

// richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly,
please use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] OT: Advice needed: Franken-lens choice for XPan)
Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] OT: Advice needed: Franken-lens choice for XPan)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] OT: Advice needed: Franken-lens choice for XPan)