Subject: [Leica] PESO: Turn The Crank
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Oct 30 23:38:48 2008

>This picture reminded me of the first thing I had to learn about attempting
>to start an automobile with the crank: keep the thumb out of the way. And
>how to set the ignition advance and choke; and if a diesel, warm up the
>glow-plugs, not to mention some fairly risky methods for warming up the fuel
>on really cold days.
>Oliver

When my parents and I came to Canada in the early 50's, one of the
first new cars my dad got was a Morris Minor. Not really made for
Alberta winters.

We lived NW of Edmonton at that time, in an area where my mom could
teach school. My dad (a doctor) had to redo his internship in
Edmonton, and was away most of the week and needed the car. The
experiment with the motorcycle didn't work. He was an excellent
motorcyclist, but mud up to your eyeballs and deep snow weren't the
best conditions for a motorcycle in the 50's. Nor for a Morris Minor,
really.

Anyway, when it got really cold (-40) the Morris had little hope of
starting the normal way. We lived out in the country near the one
room school, grades 1-9, that my mother taught in. No telephones, no
running water, no electricity.

About an hour before my dad wanted to get going, we put a Coleman
campstove burning white gas under the engine block, and then when
that was done well but not overcooked, we winched the car to the top
of the nearest hill and my mother and I shoved the car down the hill
and my dad started it and drove off to Edmonton. Mostly this worked.

We never did set that Morris on fire, but we should have.

We got a VW Beetle in 1953, and that was a huge improvement.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design