Subject: [Leica] was software licensing, now Leica S R strategy
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Sun Oct 19 14:58:43 2008
References: <7E1467B1-6E30-400E-8254-EC9617ADA7F6@gmail.com><B20B339D27A40AB00F97C1A7@hindolveston.reid.org> <1FBCA9D3-0174-4C62-8920-87EE11143E39@gmail.com> <F90FCA31319440D3AC13E4EB256ECCAD@dadquad><D082A5A3-A4B0-4B72-8D0B-07AD65B2079E@cox.net><48FA66C8.2040606@gmx.de><E130C972-2C0A-417C-8D92-31631F148888@cox.net><0EF92BD285F444938363B0141C3AC968@dadquad><FE317619B84F4B3E9028B9F2713F42FD@robertbxucevjs><C505FD27-B296-48C2-B9BC-6910E71D7F73@cox.net><4A04B4DF09B441A8B454139F9587AFAC@dadquad> <DF85D644-7C67-40A9-AA1B-99E08B6B4E2F@cox.net> <E12C481A6BEF4060B14DBD456438B5ED@dadquad>

On Oct 19, 2008, at 2:15 PM, Geoff Hopkinson wrote:

> Steve, I know that R users felt disappointed at Photokina. I think
> that it
> was a case of finite resources and Dr Kaufmann committed to bring
> the S
> system to market. Very much high end, I agree, but then this is
> Leica. Leica
> has committed to the R10, "aber die R10 kommt" :-) As to whether a
> new R
> system will be affordable, do you expect to see something competing
> with say
> Nikon or Canon or a premium quality Leica system for the discerning?
> My view
> is that trying compete directly would be unwise and unsuccessful. In
> any
> event, that is pure speculation on my part and I won't comment
> further. This
> all arose from my partial quote, which I thought did give fans of a
> new R
> system some encouragement. Back to posting pictures. My last two sunk
> without trace!

no, many of us anticipated R developments, and we are left with some
disappointment, though personally I am not surprised by the lack of
R....

I think the surprise is the new system S...aimed at a whole new
demographic, not M,  not R....

but there is way too much room for speculation, so I will say no more...

Steve

Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] software licensing question)
Message from leowesson at gmail.com (lug) ([Leica] software licensing question)
Message from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] software licensing question)