Subject: [Leica] glossy screen iMac problems
From: mark.teampope at ntlworld.com (Mark Pope)
Date: Sun Oct 19 13:19:46 2008

I saw a 24" Imac last Thursday in a local store.  It looked very nice
and was definitely preferable to the 20" machine next to it.

Then I put my "practical head" on...The main thing that bothered me was
the fact it "only" has the one hard drive, which by today's standards is
actually quite small.  Assuming you want to run Photoshop, whilst it
runs well with a single disk, there is a performance gain to be had by
running two disks and having the swap disk on a physically different
drive to the application and files.  Or at least it USED to be the case,
at least on PCs.  I'm not sure whether this is an issue with Macs.

 From a purely value for money point of view, I wonder whether the Mac
mini and a  monitor such as the Apple cinema LCD (total cost about
$1500)  would be a better bet than the 24" Imac at $1800?  Anyone have
any thoughts?

Finally, on a practical note, given the limited HDD space on either the
IMAC or MAC mini, I would imagine that many people would be forced into
using external HDDs to make up the shortfall as well as for backups.  I
can envisage a situation where there is this beautifully engineered
Apple objet with a bunch of cables running to various HDDs stacked
elsewhere on the desk.  It makes me wonder whether for photography,
we're better off with the more traditional form factor of the tower PC.
Problem is, the mac pro is a very costly piece of kit.

Sorry if has come across as anti-Mac.  It isn't meant to.  It certainly
is beautiful kit and from what I have seen of the operating system and
application software, it is very good indeed,

As someone who may be investing in a MAC book/pc when my existing
hardware gives up the ghost, I would be very interested to hear other
people's views.

Cheers

Mark

--