Subject: [Leica] Promotions?
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon Oct 13 02:10:16 2008

Silly or not, or even garbage - if you have a lower end product that you
want to get sold as a lifestyle icon, this is the way to do it - WE are
just not the intended target group in this case, we have no intention of
slipping the little gems into our Gucci, Kenzo and Armani pockets and
bags, but if Leica finds people who can afford to and want to  - then so
be it.

And where do you find such people? At events where people who want to be
seen hang out.
Maybe they want to be seen carrying the "best" camera too.
If so, their fans will want one too.

I gather from the article that the two young ladies have quite some
media pull, so brainless as the advertising policy may seem, there are
people who will lap it up - only they won't be found here on the list

Pictures of one of us OFs wouldn't sell many pretty little P&S cameras.

The excellence of pictures taken by us OFs are in a different league and
are located at a level less understood by the lifestyle adepts and
fashion followers

Now, if the ladies shown had been holding the new S2, that would have
been way off base. Then again, if the S2 had been used to shoot the
pair, someone could have said "Hmmm, great for fashion and glamour
photography"

It all depends which side of the camera you are on.

If Leica wants to address the market from bottom to top, we are going to
have to put up with stuff like this - and more.

Personally, I find it amusing that members of the list drool about
long-legged senoritas draped across fast and luxurious cars, but, as
soon something pretty turns up with a Leica in her hand it's a scandal :-)

My two-pennorth.

Douglas