Subject: [Leica] No nukes in North Carolina? But maybe Arizona?
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Oct 4 20:36:09 2008

Tina:  Sorry about conflating the Carolinas  :-)

Have fun!  If you can spend any time on the North Rim, do.  The lodge at
the rim is probably closed now. You can stay at Jacob Lake and "commute" in
a straight-line 44 miles.  The North Rim is higher than the South, and much
less traveled to.  It is in aspen forest, and the trees should be turning
now.  The sight of shimmering yellow aspen leaves against the cobalt-blue
sky and pink granite is one I'll never forget.

Mule rides are very nice, you just have to remember that the mules are not
going to fall off the edge, though they tend to walk right next to it. If
you hike, just pace yourself.  I once hiked from the South Rim to Plateau
Point and back in one day, about 2/3 of the way up and down.  Beautiful.
But my back did not appreciate it a day later.  Given your Central American
treks, you probably are in better shape than I was.

--Peter, mentally listening to "On the Trail" from the Grand Canyon Suite
by Ferde Grofe.