Subject: [Leica] Such are the dreams: IMG
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Tue Sep 16 01:45:27 2008

Thanks to all who commented.

http://tinyurl.com/5f39uj

Let me ?defend? the shot, and by that I don?t mean to be defensive to to
imply that I am offended. I just love getting critical comments: makes me
think and re-think what I?m doing and why.

First the back pack: Helen did not like it either, but for me it ?came? with
the wires heading under the head scarf. She is so calm so serene that the
wire and pack are a little out of place -- part of the story I was trying to
tell: modern girl, ageless emotions.

Background: yes, its a confusion of scratches - lead graffiti, with everyone
trying to have there say. Its a famous monument, its chaos up there, narrow
stairs and passage ways, yet in this chaos she ?escapes? for these few
moments: again for me (for me remember) they are part of the story and I
?love? the background -- does anyone agree?

Verticals: well of course nothing is vertical up there and the roof she is
leaning against is not vertical either. In fact, I like the curve of the
girl and find the slight slope of the roof fits it: I hadn?t noticed that
before.

Muddy blacks: I?m not sure, I kept the contrast lower here, as I would have
in the darkroom. The subject seemed to ask for a softer feel. Despite your
explanation of the under-exposure, I don?t have time on the street to
shoot/check and adjust, so I would much rather tame the highlights: when the
image loses highlights that really bugs me, so I don?t know how to avoid it
without a slight under exposure.

And for Geoff: the serial number is too low for the Dior :-) its the older
M8, the newer one is for wide angles and the older on focuses the longer
lenes slightly better.

Others wrote:

WOW!

A great shot of a beautiful girl.

Jim

devastating

ric

Alastair, wonderful light, expression and composition. I think that you
may
need to consider reducing the background here. The forest of graffiti
scratchings is distracting. Maybe sufficient to just blur it down a
little??

Cheers
Geoff

Excellent.  I might have burned the left side a little, maybe not.  Fine
image IMHO.

Ken

I agree with Geoff in all respects.

Doug Herr

striking shot
beautiful face framed
in fine light

[homage to George's eloquence]

I would like to see a version with all of the pack cropped off=
even greater simplicity.

Alan

Looking closely at Alastair's file, I see that this is from his
Christian
Dior Leica! No wonder it sees poetry in Paris.
Since I know Alastair well, I thought he might endorse a further
dissection
on this pic. As mentioned, like George I really like the light and
striking
face.
I like what the (nearly ;-)) vertical gaps do for the composition and
the
placement of the woman in the frame. All of the scratched surfaces
behind
definitely distract me. On exposure, I think that underexposing the
capture
was a mistake here. The darks (at least as shown) are just flat and a
little
muddy to my eye. It is diffuse light of course. OK, have at me, if you
want.

Cheers
Geoff

Replies: Reply from philippe.amard at tele2.fr (Philippe AMARD) ([Leica] Such are the dreams: IMG)