Subject: [Leica] A new set of photos
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Mon Sep 15 19:32:26 2008

Original Message:

From: Mark Pope <mark.teampope@ntlworld.com>
Speaking about John Beeching's street shots:

> As someone who has tried (and in my view) failed with respect to street
> photography, you have my utmost respect for producing such a set of
> images.
> I can't work instinctively, because I feel quite reticent about pointing
> a camera at people, because I feel rather self-conscious in street
> situations.  This is a feeling that I have found has got worse as
> paranoia about people carrying cameras has reached ridiculous
> proportions.  Maybe I'm just too sensitive and perhaps the answer for me
> to confront my 'fear' and just get on with it.

> Thanks for posting these images and stimulating such an interesting
> conversation.

> All the best , Mark
Mark seems to have written my thoughts exactly.  At work I feel validated in
taking
candid shots since I'm an "official" photographer of an environment that
people choose to come into, but off-campus I don't have the gumption or
presumption
to intrude upon others even in a public venue, where it shouldn't matter,
and therefore
have missed shots that were probably worthwhile.

I want to state my admiration, and wonder for those of you that are able to
make
pictures in the public sphere.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978