Subject: [Leica] That swamp again
From: Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway)
Date: Mon Sep 15 16:20:46 2008

GeorgeL, RicC, Slobo, JimN, Hoppy, LenT, BarneyQ and LuisR:

Thanks very much for your comments in early July!  I have hardly been
active here for the past several weeks due to various things that have
happened and had forgotten that I had not answered your comments back in
early July.

I had shot the photo below on Ektachrome 100 with the FishFlex 4x5 using
a 30mm fisheye lens http://www.half-fast.com/FishFlex.jpg and had asked
the list if I needed to dial back a bit on the Magenta... the magenta
was there in the real water, but didn't look right to me.

Before:
<http://www.hemenway.com/Route124-FishFlex-Ekta100-06212008.jpg>

Some of you suggested a bit of dial magenta back:
<http://www.hemenway.com/Route124-Ekta100-06212008-10magenta.jpg>

And some you said to leave it alone, that it was okay as is.

Slobo, you suggested that I switch films, such as to Fuji. I probably
won't do that because my experience with Provia 4x5 for example, is that
it turns green too easily if left even in subdued light for a bit... and
because I like Ektachrome 100 very much.

So, I thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions.

Jim

P.S. I visited Tophet Swamp again on Labor Day weekend. The leaves have
begun to turn to a pale lifeless yellow-pink and the sky had none of the
drama that it did on June 21st.

P.P.S.  Taken several miles to the west on the same afternoon on June
21st: <http://www.hemenway.com/TroyDepot-Ekta100-06212008.jpg>

The railway line to Brattleboro is long gone and the right of way is now
used for cross-country skiing, but the depot has been restored. I've
been told that the building on the left was once a small hotel.