Subject: [Leica] ideal storage -- dehumifier redux
From: faneuil at gmail.com (Eric Korenman)
Date: Sun Sep 14 05:35:42 2008

This comes up from time to time. But here goes.

As we don't use an air conditioner, my camera gear 'summers' in a
small wood lined built in cabinet in our bedroom.
I use a damp rid container to bring down the humidity.

I've got a tiny battery operated humidistat which has shown me that I
have a tough time getting it below 80% on
damp rainy days. Most of the time I can keep humidity level at 70% or lower.

Any other things I could try to get the humidity down?
I think the issue is probably moisture coming through the walls into
the cabinet keeping things dampish.

I running a controlled experiment as we speak, with the damp rid
bucket and humidistat in a sealed plastic storage container.

I've always been wary of cheap storage container as you literally
smell the plastic 'de-gassing'

your 2 cents?

Eric