Subject: [Leica] Will L survive
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Sep 11 18:40:26 2008

Comments about price coming from folk over fifty is a slight incongruity.
 We all remember the whatever that was only 5 cents and it is an outrage
that it is now twenty times that.  The point should be that a solution to an
imaging problem is on offer; if it is a good solution then people will step
up and pay whatever price it is.
The Japanese have stepped up with some incredible high ISO performance so
that a relatively slow lens could work in dim light.  Leica is coming up
with some very high quality very high speed lenses.  Two different
approaches, two different looks.  Price is a stupid test on a tool that can
make your image; this applies to a D3 for weddings in Nawlins to shooting
doctors with a Noctilux.

We all buy all kinds of things that disappear over time; could be wine,
could be cars, could be a trip someplace.  But investment in a tool that
will make a vision come true is priceless to quote one advertising campaign.

Besides, I have never lost money on a good quality lens.  Well crafted
lenses last more than a lifetime, just ask some of my early Zeiss and Leica
creations.

To quote someone I admired very much;

Happy Snaps.