Subject: [Leica] IMG: Mexican Stone Head
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Thu Sep 11 06:47:27 2008

The background is black velvet (which reflects pretty much no light)
as far as the lighting:
a diffuse soft light right of camera
a diffuse soft light 1 stop less behind the camera
a very slightly diffuse directional source with reflector above and
left of camera (for shape)

It's always a judgement call as to how much drama to bring to
something like this.
If I were shooting it for a catalog cover I would have increased
contrast and drama
as well as bring more atmosphere to the background.
Yet, in this case, we needed to preserve detail throughout, remain
unemotional and true; for study purposes.

One thing I discovered - with these rich mid tone digital files - I
can easily produce a more dramatic version in Lightroom or PS.

Fond regards,
George

george@imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com