Subject: [Leica] Twilight
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Sep 8 12:04:52 2008

LUG:

After the discussion about photographing light at twilight, I went to
a gallery in Charlotte showing works about just that:

http://www.hodgestaylor.com/content/index.cfm?fuseaction=image&startRow=1&category=&search=Lynn%20Saville&searchcategory=

The photographs on the web, in this case, look much better than the
ones in the gallery.  This is one where I stood and shook my head
wondering why there was a whole gallery devoted to these
photographs.  I can see why on the web.  The actual framed
photographs, behind glass,  are much flatter and don't show the
subtle twilight contrast between the artificial light and the natural
light left in the sky.  This is one where craft and presentation make
a definite difference.

I also went to a juried exhibition at the Light Factory in
Charlotte:  http://www.lightfactory.org/exhibitions/past.htm   The
juror admitted in his talk that he had only seen the submitted
photographs in web presentations and, after he made his selections,
was disappointed at the printing and presentation of some of the
works.  I could see why.  They were totally forgettable but I don't
think they would have been much better on the web!

Sorry to be so cynical about "art" but I've seen too many pointless
photography exhibitions lately!!

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com