Subject: [Leica] Getting into printing.. need advice?
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sat Sep 6 23:09:06 2008

I agree with Brian - making prints is something all photographers should do.
 It teaches new skills and makes you better at some craft aspects of the art.

Ric raises a good point: be careful with the chemicals.  I'm a scientist and
know more by necessity about laboratory health and safety than I ever wanted
to know.  Learn to read a material safety data sheet (MSDS) and take the
recommended precautions.  Minimise your exposure and keep the chemicals in a
safe place to avoid the most significant risk, the development of contact
allergies to aminophenols such as metol.

Apart from the benzene diols in developers (hydroquinone, pyrogallol and
pyrocatechin are examples of these) there are few chemicals with much hazard
associated with them in the darkroom.  You can avoid all these and the
aminophenols by using Kodak Xtol to develop film and Agfa Neutol Plus for
papers.   It has often been claimed that darkroom workers commonly get
pancreatic cancer, but this is probably linked to the biased gender and age
ratios, the predominance of smoking and exposure to organic solvents and
petrol/gasoline in the subjects of the study that started that idea was
undertaken.  This reflects the time and place when it occurred.

Most household cleaning products are more hazardous than darkroom chemicals
and there are many much more hazardous things in day to day life.  I doubt
anyone will warn you not to get into or buy a car because it's dangerous.

Remember that the volatile organic compounds and some other components in
inkjet inks that you are exposed to when you change the cartridges of a
printer are probably more hazardous than any darkroom chemicals.

Print however you like, it's a relatively steep but rewarding path whichever
way you go.

Gallery:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene

--