Subject: [Leica] Hugo in Charleston
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed Sep 3 14:59:45 2008

At 05:34 PM 9/3/2008, you wrote:
>Tina
>
>I'm sure there were a lot of " insurance claims" after
>Hugo.  Charleston proper came through ok though, especially compared
>to New Orleans and Katrina.
>
>Up north and west  caught a lot more hell than the city itself. Isle
>of Palms and a few other coastal regions near there were whipped up
>on as well. From what I saw the important part of Charleston
>(historic district) was pretty much spared.
>
>Walt

I was in Charleston the week after Hugo and have photos
somewhere.  My daughter was attending the College of Charleston and
classes started back after a week even though there was no
power.  Water from the storm surge reached to the second story of the
buildings around the market.  It was an unbelievable mess.  The storm
surge was worse north of Charleston around McClellanville but winds
were 135 MPH in downtown Charleston.  Most of the old houses in the
historic district were damaged but they've been there over 100 years
and were solidly built.  You can still see some of the damage in the
big mansions around the Battery that original owners could not afford
to repair.  Most that have been repaired were bought and remodeled by
rich Yankees ;-)  My son is a tour guide in Charleston and he can
tell you all about Hugo and what it did to the city.  Hugo was bad
enough that it reached Charlotte and caused considerable
damage.  Huge trees were down in our neighborhood and we were without
power for 17 days.  We had to replace our roof and couldn't drive out
of our neighborhood for almost a week so many trees were in the road
and power lines down.  Hugo caused 6 billion dollars in damage in
South Carolina.  I never want to go through another hurricane like
that and hope that Hannah turns around!

Tina