Subject: [Leica] About to take M8 plunge - but worried about blown highlights...
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Sep 3 05:22:29 2008

Alastair Firkin <afirkin@afirkin.com> wrote:

> Simon, I think all digital recording suffers from a tendency to blown
> highlights.
> The good news is that unlike slide film, you can really "delve" into the
> shadows
> (esp with b/w and the IR effect). For this reason, all our cameras are set
> to a
> -ev setting. I usually take a couple of test shots in the current light,
> review
> the histogram and wind the ev compensation back till the highlights are
> controlled.
> This usually means -2/3 to -1 ev, but in some lighting I've shot with -3
> ev.
> You MUST shoot RAW, so that when the image is "developed", you can use
> compensation
> development to bring the range of tones into line with the result you
> want.

My technique is similar, except that I just set the camera on manual and use
the camera's suggested exposure as a starting point, adjusting shutter speed
and/or aperture, reviewing the histogram so that the picture's dynamic range
fits within the camera's dynamic range.  For the least 'noise', the
histogram should go as far to the right as possible w/o clipping important
highlights.  Shoot RAW.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com