Subject: [Leica] About to take M8 plunge - but worried about blownhighlights...
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Sep 2 19:47:01 2008

Hi Simon, there is very sound advice in the thread, as you would have
already seen.
Some additional comments from me on technique for the situation you
describe.
Firstly the chromatic aberration you mention is very likely from the lenses
used. Another great reason to have superb Leica glass!
On metering you can use the built-in meter well, it's a matter of
understanding what it is doing, just like with a film M.  One option is to
lock the exposure and recompose, when needed. As mentioned by others you can
expose as though you were shooting transparency, rather than colour neg.
Many people routinely use .33 or .66EV underexposure. You can see that works
well by looking at the work of others who have replied. However you are
giving up a considerable amount of the original possible tonal range by
using that technique. That may not be important in practice. Safer certainly
when you are shooting in a hurry. If you have time for careful consideration
you can try without. It will repay you with even more superb SHADOW
performance from the M8. When you succumb to the siren call of the M8 you
can try for yourself and share your photos and opinions on that.
Finally shooting DNG is very much superior, as is a good Raw converter.
A couple of examples of the type of shot you described, (no -EV set)
I try to expose to as near maximum highlight value as I can for the biggest
tonal range to start with. The clipping warning on the camera and with the
original default converter settings is only a guide.

http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/93634580

http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/100078879

Cheers
Geoff