Subject: [Leica] question to Steve Barbour concerning dual range summicron
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Thu Aug 28 21:04:16 2008

On Aug 28, 2008, at 6:24 PM, lkhermann wrote:

>> hi Lee...that's a real tough one...
>>

>> the two lenses are both wonderful...
>>
>> one new wonderful and one old wonderful, we could make sexual
>> analogies, but maybe not...
>>
>> many agree that they are totally different in look and
>> fingerprint...I
>> have both, use the DR more...
>>
>> sort of like great pie and great cake...
>>
>> some like one, some like the other, some like one on certain days or
>> for certain images...
>>
>> so how would you like to compare them...?
>>
>> :-)
>>

>> Steve
>
> Steve,
>
> I was wondering about resolution, how do photographs compare when
> you examine them at 100% in photoshop.  I have owned my dual range
> since the early 1980's and unfortunately it languishes unused along
> with my other film Leicas.  I often take aerial photos and the
> resolution of the Summilux is the best of my lenses.  How does the
> dual-range compare at 100%?  Is it worthwhile to modify the lens to
> work on the M8?  Some might say I have a small collection of Leicas,
> but I really would like to use what I have.  It was sad last night
> that I held my M cameras that have not been used in the last couple
> of years, as digital imaging seems to meet my needs best.  The other
> old lenses that I have compared with the Summilux on the M8 are
> good, but not as good.  Thanks for your advice in this matter.

hi Lee,

rigorous resolution tests would have to be done...and likely can be
done...I don't do them...

if you are doing only hi resolution aerial photography likely the ASPH
will be more than satisfactory in meeting your needs...

if you are doing other sorts of photography here on earth, consider
rather than having the DR sitting ignored and  unused,  as I suspect
you would really enjoy its look and performance on your M8...

remember whether it beats the ASPH in resolution or not,  photography
is not only about resolution...

go ahead and modify it, and try it,

or sell it...

Steve