Subject: [Leica] What's available
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Aug 27 19:42:24 2008

Tina Manley showed:
Subject: Re: [Leica] What's available

>>>Here is one photo from several rolls of film that I took

in almost total darkness - only one candle in a windowless adobe room:<<<<

http://tinamanley.smugmug.com/gallery/3800412_pGv2n/1/360345210_zPxey/Origin
al

Hi Tina,

Classic girl. Classic!

One of the truly great lenses of Leica is the Noctilux! Man at f1.0 you
don't shoot by "available light", you shoot by available darkness! :-)

Through out my career I used the light illuminating the subject as much as
possible simply because that is what we see the subject by. Did I blow a
frame or three? Yep and I'm the first to admit it, only because sometimes I
did really push my luck on many occasions. But if you don't try, you'll
never learn how to make it work!

Then some fool would come along and blink a Twinkie light and completely
destroy what the motivating light was all about!

Heck they still do it today simply because so many "so called photographers"
are absolutely clueless when it comes to the value of light and how it
motivates us to see the subject.

This photo of yours is truly classic by light motivational standards. I
can't imagine anyone seeing this then blasting a twinkie light completely
destroying the visual effect.

However, there are dimwits out there who'd say, "Oh but it's not bright
enough for me to stop down to f8.0 so I have to use my flash!"

Aaaaahhh!!! KILL!! Then they have the audacity to call themselves
photographers! Shame!

Great photo dear lady thank you for posting.

ted

Replies: Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] What's available)