Subject: Western States 100 Re: [Leica] Olympics
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Aug 27 16:35:45 2008

Doug is being a little modest as I know him to be an accomplished veteran
athlete. As for those that earn the Silver Buckle, I remain in awe more than
twenty years after I first heard of this event. As a young man I ran some
marathons and other events up to that distance and I still have a 1986
magazine article by an Australian that completed the WS100 that year.
For me watching the magnificent athletes compete in the 5000m and marathon
is the pinnacle of the Olympics. Doug will be familiar with this quote.

"We are different, in essence, from other men.  If you want to win
something, run 100 meters.  If you want to experience something, run a
marathon."   -Emil Zatopek

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e