Subject: [Leica] "available light" now means "light too low for people to see in"
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Wed Aug 27 11:50:35 2008

I'm sure these are popping up all over the intar-webz now, but I
happened to be at the bat house in the Philadelphia zoo last week. It's
very dark in there, too dark for my aged eyes to see anything apart from
the lightly glowing signs. Certainly not enough for me to see any bats.

Well, I took a photo with the d700 on 400 asa at one second and it
wasn't enough to make out people. I then cranked the ISO up past 6,400
to the "experimental" range and metered at 1/20th of a second. The VR on
the lens kept it steady enough to get a slightly over-exposed image.
I've pasted the two together with a third box showing what the reduce
noise filter does.

I can't wait to see what the next few years bring us in terms of light
sensitivity.

Here's the shot:

http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2008/low-light-700.jpg

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Chris Williams) ([Leica] "available light" now means "light too low for people tosee in")