Subject: [Leica] Experience with Apple?
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Thu Aug 7 19:02:37 2008

I am also a Linux desktop guy--fedora is my flavor since i've run through
a long list of redhats since 2001.  ubuntu seems to be all the rage, and
at some point i'll have to give it a try.

I'm amazed at how well the open source stuff works these days and how
much progress has been made in the past 5-6 years, gphoto2 grabs
photos from my fuji f30 and m8, digikam is fine indexing software which
understands the dng and canon (and other) raw formats.  xsane does my
scans.  cinepaint and gimp are fine photo manipulation software, cinepaint
can do 16 bit images and raw formats.

we also have an imac and powerbook and ancient mac g3 (running osx 10.3)
plus a couple of thinkpads (dual boots--i had to have an xp machine
when i went back to school).  also sharing my subnet are
2 Tivos (embedded linux computers), a WII and a PS3.  i guess the
home media thing is happening when you have as many entertainment systems
on your subnet as general-purpose computers.

BTW, and OT, i've recently discovered by accident that the PS3 and a flat
panel TV makes for a GREAT DIGITAL SLIDESHOW PROJECTOR, put in a CD or DVD
with a filesystem and jpgs and you get very nicely-rendered images on a 46"
1920x1080 resolution screen.  you can entertain (or bore the life out of)
your whole family for hours.

-rei