Subject: [Leica] Experience with Apple?
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Aug 7 05:58:05 2008

Louis,I have both, a desktop running XP and a basic MacBook running an
earlier version of 10.2.  What I preferentially use is the Mac.  It is
currently happily devouring 400+ megabyte files in an archiving project I'm
doing.  Things just work with no issues, boot times are quick, multitasking
works, automatic software updates have so far been painless, and the risk of
viruses is currently much lower.

Adobe will change your license from PC to OS 10 for free as long as you give
up all rights to your PC license; I just switched and it was pretty
painless.

I had used some form of Microsoft operating system since the Intel 8088 days
put the switch to the Mac system was a breeze.  Help really works; for me
that was doing a screen shot which is not a button on my keyboard but a
keystroke sequence.

I will tell you to avoid Vista like the plague.  It is slow to boot, not
supported by enough vendors that something you want won't work.

If you ultimately decide to stay with a windows based system, then make sure
that XP is loaded.  From my friends in the Fortune 50 crowd, XP will be
supported as they will not switch to Vista and Microsoft makes a whole lot
of it's income from software licensing.  It would be and interesting
standoff if they would no longer accept money for a product working just
fine in millions of computers insisting that they switch to Vista which will
not work on most of the machines.

Of course one of my sources is delighted that some specialized machines that
they use running Windows 95 don't cost them anything; they only fear is that
they are running out of certain parts to keep them going and then programs
that they implement don't work on other platforms.