Subject: [Leica] visoflex
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Aug 1 05:46:38 2008

At 06:53 PM 7/31/2008, leo wesson wrote:
 >I don't understand it.  All of the acronyms sound like secret society talk.
 >
 >If I want to do closeup stuff with my M8, what do I need?
 >Can I use any of my m lenses?

The OTZFO and the like are not acronyms:  they
are catalogue code-words used by Leitz from
before World War I until 1958.  The rationale
behind these was to save money back when salesmen
sent in orders by telegraph and were charged by
the word.  Leitz started to change this to a
numeric system in 1936 but the switch was killed
off by the advent of World War II and so the
code-word system survived until 1958 before the
progenitor of the current "computerized" system
was adopted.  (Zeiss Ikon always used a numeric
system, incidentally, though it changed its
system in the 1950's;  Carl Zeiss Jena used
catalogue code-words through World War II.)

I have never seen an M8 so I do not know its
basic dimensions.  I understand that a Visoflex
III will fit an M8 with the 90-degree VF but I am
not certain whether the shutter release marries
up.  (For that matter, a 1936 PLOOT would work,
with a double cable release, though you need an
adapter to fit the LTM cable-release fitting to the M8.)

For close-up work, a Viso III and Bellows II
would be ideal.  A Viso III also allows telephoto
work as far out as you care to go:  I regularly
shoot with my M6 on a Questar 3.5 with a 2X Dakin
Barlow for a total focal length of 2600mm.  That
is a LONG optical beam, though, so a SOLID mount is needed!

With a Bellows II, you ought to pick up an LTM
39mm by 26 turns-per-inch Whitworth) to M42
adapter.  One of the successors to Edmund
Scientific (I constantly confuse the two) sells
an M42 to "Royal Screw" (the Objective Thread of
the Royal Microscope Society, still the standard
microscope objective thread to this day)
adapter.  With this combination, you can then
mount all of those lovely Mikrotars and Luminars
and Photars and Micro-Tessars and Micro-Summars
and Milars to your camera for macro- and
microphotography as now exists only in your wildest dreams.

Next, we'll get you into the Aristophot system,
and you'll be doing digital through your microscopes ...

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] visoflex)