Subject: [Leica] IMG: Bambi revisited
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri Aug 1 00:03:54 2008

I realize that my "fawn and doe" sequence wasn't taken under the best
conditions.  But it's the closest I've ever been to a fawn in the wild.  I
want a decent record of it.  So I gave myself the exercise of making the
best of it.   Here's what I've come up with on my favorite picture of the
fawn. Let's see what you folks think.

Here's the proof file of the entire frame:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003574.jpg.html

In addition to almost very high contrast, there were multiple color
casts--full sun, blue skylight in the shade, plus various degrees of green
light reflected off the grass.  It took a lot of work, but here's what I
came up with--it involved a major crop, two 16-bit TIFF files with
different curves, and cloning the shaded parts of the fawn from the
brighter version to the darker (like the PhotoShop History Brush). Then
another temporary TIFF file with a diferent color balance and similar
cloning, then a bit of desaturation to keep it in the realm of possibility.

Here's that version, not perfect, but it looks a lot like what I saw:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/edits/L1003574Fawn-w.jpg.html

And then there's always good old Plan Zed:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/edits/L1003574FawnBW-w.jpg.html

Comments welcome.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] IMG: Bambi revisited)