Subject: [Leica] IMG: Miss River Oil Spill in New Orleans
From: leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Chris Williams)
Date: Sun Jul 27 20:24:15 2008

Does not seem like it's getting allot of national attention, but on
Wednesday morning an oil tanker hit a tugboat pushing a barge full of
industrial oil down the Miss River just west of the Miss River Bridge in New
Orleans. 9,000 barrels went into the river, 400,000 gallons of industrial
oil(like diesel) spilled into the river. This is one of the worst spills on
the Miss River.

Saturday night at a wedding I was able to be high enough to still view the
oil slick on the river. At that time only 10% of the oil had be contained.
The sunken barge is located where the bright lights underneath the bridge
are in these images. There are some reflections in the images due to
shooting through a very dark tinted window, but the spill is very noticeable
still.

http://www.zoeicaimages.com/OilSpill2008

D3, 2500iso

While the Coast Guard is once again doing a bang up job, it seems others are
only concerned about the loss of revenue with having to shut down the river
for a few days. Very little is being discussed on the news about
environmental impacts as the spill moves into the wetlands along Louisiana's
coast. It seems very surprising to me whenever oil drilling is discussed
nationally that a spill always seems to follow.

Chris
NOLA

Replies: Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] IMG: Miss River Oil Spill in New Orleans)